DUPAX IS THE present official name of the town which was once a very fertile hunting ground of primitive people in the southeastern part of Nueva Vizcaya.
The name originated from the Isinay word "dopaj" which means lying down with complete relaxation as did the first hunters after heavy meals which consisted mostly of the meat of wild animals. This was believed to be the common sight in Dupax in the days of old.
The first known settlers were the Mala-ats and the Igorots with Dayag and Tiun Pising as their respective leaders or heads. Most of the Igorot tribe were the Isinays who were known to have come from Pantabangan and from the Burobor mountains. This tribe was more civilized than the Mala-ats.
Religious missionaries of the Agustinian Order arrived at the place as early as in June 1726 under Fathers Nicolas Norbante and Agustin San Juan. These priests stayed with each of the hostile groups and tried to convince them to come down and live together at the place now called Dupax, and at the same time took steps for their conversion into the Christian fold.
Spanish soldiers arrived later for the maintenance of peace and order while the missionaries went on zealously with their avowed purpose.
The real founding of Dupax took place on April 22, 1731 when Fathers Norbante and San Juan planted the cross in honor of Nuestra Señora del Socorro in a little chapel on a spot a few yards south of the present church.