Friday, January 17, 2020

Are There Volcanoes in Dupax?

TAAL VOLCANO'S eruption jogged my senses to the fact that my hometown Dupax, just like all the towns of Nueva Vizcaya, is practically surrounded by mountains.

And so, the question came to my mind: Is there a possibility that among the many hills of Dupax, one of them is a volcano?

This is a subject I intend to research on one of these days. In the meantime, let me share the following photos I took with my iPhone in the morning of October 1 last year:

The view of central Dupax del Sur taken from the hill behind the Dupax del Sur National High School. The blue hills in the far background are already part of Dupax del Norte.

This one on the southern direction shows a cone-shaped peak in the far background. Probably already part of the neighboring town of Aritao, the triangular peak looks very much that of a volcano.

Many hills of Dupax have this type of rock. Down the hill where I shot this, there is a large one that we called "Kompan si Araw" (Bell of Monkeys) standing like a huge ball that a giant may be able to push and roll farther downhill towards Abannatan creek.

On the western part of Dupax, boulders like this abound, some are as large as the size of a small house and mostly scattered as if someone playful threw them around or any which way he liked.

Remembering that there was a tuping (rock wall) made of little versions of rocks like this at the untu' (peak) of the hill when I used to climb it with my grade school classmates at the then Dupax Central Elementary School, my curiosity is aroused: Where did the rocks and boulders come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment