Wednesday, August 31, 2011

An Insect that Prays and Preys

Which is correct, PRAYING MANTIS or PREYING MANTIS? 


And how do you call this insect in Isinay, in Ilocano, in Tagalog?

Don't look now, but among the common insects that are not so familiar is the mantis. Blame the creature's seemingly fearless and always-ready-to-strike mode.

When I was young, I never played with the spiny-legged insect. Well, aside from fearing its sharp spines, there was this story I heard somewhere that the female of the species harbored bulate (worm).

Whenever we encountered one among the kardis and patani, or when we climbed guavas, we tended to avoid it or to squash it with a long stick.

I was already in college when I learned that the mantis have a strange lovemaking behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment